Friday, February 15, 2008

Love?

In the spirit of Valentines I wanted to share some thoughts on "Love"
I don't know if my experiences with love have been especially similar or dissimilar to others, but it seems first that I don't struggle as much with sexual temptation as emotional loneliness. We have all heard the talks about how hard it is to be pure and all that, but I hear precious little about how hard it is to be filled with a (not sure this is the right word) loneliness, that neither friends, or distractions, or even church and prayer, seems to be effective against. And then I start to say, "But I'm a Christian, I'm not supposed to be lonely/empty". Then I realize that this feeling makes me very vulnerable emotionally. Yes its true, I get moody when I'm lonely. And then it doesn't make things much better when I see guys who have little respect for women and don't think about honour in the ways I do, seem to get the satisfaction I so desire. What's wrong with me!? (Please don't answer that). I suppose patience and trust are my only option; patience with God's timing, and trust that He will fill my heart in one way or another. But that sure doesn't make me feel better now. Sigh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Ross -
Your final conclusions are right - trust God in His plans, His timing and He will fill your heart. I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but trust me after many years of experiencing what you are - God will meet and fill that need. It's okay to feel lonely, just continue to lift it up to Him who cares for and meets all your needs. If it was time for you to have someone in your life, you would have someone in your life. Keep on pursuing God, asking Him to grow you into the kind of man He has called you to be, including treating women with respect. Praise God that you've had such good men in your life who have taught you how to treat a woman well. Keep pressing on, my favorite 19-year-old and don't despair. And when you hit those feelings again, lift up your Aunt Susan, too. Marriage is something I've always wanted, but I suppose the either the right man hasn't come around or I'm not in the right place in my life...
Love you - and hang on for the right one!

Aunt Susan

e said...

Yes, I find it very hard to continue to be joyful when I'm feeling this sort of emotional emptiness, and it sometimes seems that God is furthest away at such times. But He does still know us completely and know all that we need--it's good that our salvation doesn't rest on how we're feeling at the moment.